Bathroom Vanity {A Makeover} -

A few weeks ago I used the Rustoleum Countertop Transformations kit and I loved it. But the new bright clean counter looked very plain so I decided to used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations to deepen the cabinets and make everything a little more dramatic. We love drama, right?

Before I started my vanity looked like this: Bleh. Boring mirror, plain cabinets, dark depressing counters… I was not a happy camper.

So with the Rustoleum Countertops Transformations Kit I got to this: Ooo!

(I also used this product in my kitchen, check it out here.)

Better but still meh. Brighter for sure. The finish is really nice and the surface is very durable.

Next step was to paint the vanity. I know a lot of people just use normal latex paint but I wanted to make sure that it would have to durability of an original finish so I used the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations on the vanity base and medicine cabinets.

I started by removing all the doors/drawers, de-glossed them after setting up a “fancy” work table in my spare room. I used (2) sawhorses, (2) 8 ft 1x4s and (4) sheets of attic decking.

Since I was already starting with a medium-dark base my cabinets only required two coats of the base coat.

The color I chose is a perfect shade between brown and black called “Tudor”.
Rustoleum’s Cabinet Transformations is an amazing product and the color is phenomenal.

I love all things Tudor – The show, the house style, and now the color!

The closest thing I ever got to visible brush strokes was this: A VERY faint line where the verticals meet the horizontals. If you read the pamphlet it tells you how to reduce their appearance. This is the result of following those instructions. Not bad, eh?

After applying a protective top coat and allowing to dry for several hours I reinstalled the doors and drawers.

Let there be light!!

Here I added knobs to the medicine cabinet doors.

And here I installed a frame around the mirror using some leftover moulding from my entryway.

I just love the dark cabinetry with the light countertops :)

Have you ever used any Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations in your home?
How about Rustoleum Countertop Transformations?
Share in the comments!Have a splendid Saturday!

XOXO,
Rachel

Comments

1. Such an awesome transformation! I think the counters look really good! That will surely be a product that I keep my eye on!

Thanks for linking it up @ Creatively Living!
    –Katie

• Hello Rachel,

Your bathroom looks amazing! Now that it’s been over a year how are the counters and cabinets holding up? I have read that the gloss can be difficult to work with and change the color. Did you use gloss on the cabinets?

Thank you so much!
      Karen

2. Have been looking at this product at Lowe’s. Plan on trying out both this summer. What color did you use on the countertops?

• Hey Melissa! Thanks for reading! The color on the counters is ‘Desert Sand’. It’s the 2nd lightest color. The lighter one is Pebble-something and is a bit more ivory. I really wish they would make samples for in-store comparisons but other than that I have no complaints. I love the new look and it totally brightened up the bathroom. I am really rough on most surfaces and so far these have held up amazingly well. No chips or scratches anywhere!

• You did a great job. We’re also planning on doing a border around our glass mirror as well. I have a whole bathroom you could Inspiration all over! Is one kit enough to do two bathrooms? Just trying to figure out how much this might cost. Thanks!

• Thank you! Thank you! The mirror idea was a total Pinterest find. <3 Pinterest! When I did the bathroom I also had enough left over to do half of my very large kitchen (still in progress! Oy!) so I would definitely say one kit is plenty for two bathrooms. Unless of course you have a bathroom like my best friend that has a mile long counter with only one sink >.< I was talking to my Mom last night and she was trying to convince me to come down to FL and work on her house a bit. I might have to take her up on that sometime this summer :) Best of luck. Come back when you’re finished. I’d love to see what you did!

3. Love the new look. We used the cabinet kit on our master cabinets and I’m trying to get the nerve to start on the kitchen cabinets. Come over and check it out.

4. awesome job, rachel! it looks stunning and so nice and sleek!

5. Anonymous says:

what color was the kit you purchased for the bathroom cabinets?

6. Anonymous says:

She purchased the dark color kit and selected the shade Tudor. Rachel did you use the optional decorative glaze?

• You are correct it was Tudor. I read a lot of people online saying that the optional decorative glaze was almost pointless with this color because its darker than the glaze so I opted not to use it. I still have a lot left over and will probably use it on a furniture piece at some point and I think I’ll try the glaze out then.
      XOXO,
      Rachel

7. Anonymous says:

How did you affix the framed molding to/around the mirror?

• Liquid Nails baby! I knew if I ever decided to change the mirror the whole thing was going to come down so I didn’t hesitate to glue it on. I started with the bottom piece and just built it up from there and it held perfectly. It’s been up for several months now with no problems. It was a small project with a big impact. Totally worth the time/money.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      XOXO,
      Rachel

• Anonymous says:

I agree, it made a big difference! I can’t wait to try it in my bathroom, too! Thanks for the info!

8. Anonymous says:

I have read that the top coat can be a nightmare to apply as it is foamy/bubbly. There are tips to use a foam brush when applying the top coat…did you find the top coat to be tricky? Any tips? Thanks! Your bathrom turned out beautiful, by the way!!

• I have used two kits now. One was bubbly, one was not. Or perhaps the bubbles were not so apparent on the white as they were with the dark brown. I used a 2″ purdy brush and just took my time and went over and over each door. After I did a few I got the hang of it and it didn’t bubble as much. If you let it dry for oh say 45 seconds, then go over it again, the bubbles will fade the best. The overall finish had no bubbles except for one corner where I didn’t catch a drip. Oops! It was easily fixed. I hope that helps! Thanks for stopping by!
      XOXO,
      Rachel

9. Anonymous says:

Yes, that does help! Thanks!

10. Anonymous says:

I plan on doing my master bathroom, I wanted to know which one should I do first the countertops or cabinets? And how long did it take you? It’s looks beautiful.. Great job! Hope I can accomplish this job. Thanks

• I always use a Top to Bottom method with most things. I did the counters first then the cabinets in the unlikely, but highly likely event that I dripped countertop paint on the finished cabinets below. The countertops make a big mess so you wouldn’t want that all over your newly painted cabinets either!!
      XOXO,
      Rachel

11. Anonymous says:

Love how it turned out! Did u remove the little mirror holders when gluing the frame and trust that the mirror was glued properly to the wall?

• In an attempt to remove a mirror from our guest bathroom we discovered that the mirrors are SOLIDLY glued to the wall in this house. Ugh! However it meant that I didn’t have to worry about the mirror coming off in our master bath. So when I framed it out I just used liquid nails and some tape to hold it in place until it dried. Easy peasy!
      XOXO,
      Rachel

12. Anonymous says:

Your cabinets are beautiful! You gave me the reassurance to start on my kitchen.
    Thanks!!!

13. I’ve been searching for honest reviews of both the Rustoleum countertop and cabinet transformations (since so many that are on the internet are those who were compensated by Rustoleum) so I’m very appreciative of what you’ve posted here! They truly do look great! I’m curious about how they are holding up now that it’s about six months down the road? Do the countertops take normal wear and tear so far? Have your cabinets chipped at all? Thanks so much!

• Hey Jordan! Honesty is my policy. This blog is all about doing it yourself and empowering those who think they can’t into those who know they can! I don’t want to fail anyone so I always give my honest opinion. The counters are still exactly like the day I finished them. The cabinets are just as well with a few finger prints here and there (I’m a terrible housekeeper). I have had the same results in my kitchen which gets even more action. No chips, dings, scratches or peels. This stuff is truly everything it claims to be!

14. Found this via Pinterest. How did you adhere the frame to the mirror? I have the same sized mirror in my master bath.

15. Sorry! I saw your earlier comment! I can’t wait to do this!

16. One more question… Does your mirror have those little metal tabs that hold it in place? If so, how did you glue the trim over them without having a huge gap?

17. Rachel,

Great job on the makeover! I have been contemplating doing this for budget reasons but when I looked at the kit it said it was for laminate countertops – I have marble. Did you have laminate?
    Any additional tips you would pass on?

18. I’m amazed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and interesting,
    and without a doubt, you’ve hit the nail on the head. The problem is something which too few folks are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy I stumbled across this in my search for something regarding this.

19. Beth Newman says:

Beautiful! I have used the rustoleum cabinet kit on my bathroom cabinets and I love them. Even my husband who was very skeptical couldn’t believe how good they looked. I’m a little nervous about trying the countertop kit but looking at yours I think I might have the courage. Can you tell me what material your countertop is. Thanks for sharing!

20. Great Job and very good designs for modular bathrooms . we must likes and will use these .

21. Rachel- you’ve inspired me! Question……are your cabinets solid wood? My bathroom cabinets are laminate. Can I use this kit on them?

22. comedic  comedos  cometic  comfier  comfits  comfort  comfrey  comical.
    Kitchens today, have a modern outlook just like the woman of today.
    aliquot  aliunde  aliyahs  alkalic  alkalin  alkalis
     alkanes  alkanet.

23. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I truly enjoyed reading
    it, you could be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog
    and may come back sometime soon. I want to encourage that
    you continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

24. Hello There. I found your weblog using msn. That is a very neatly written
    article. I will make sure to bookmark it and come back to read more of your
    useful information. Thank you for the post. I will definitely return.

25. If you want to grow your experience only keep visiting this website and be updated
    with the newest gossip posted here.

26. My family every time say that I am killing my time here
    at web, except I know I am getting know-how daily by reading such good articles or reviews.

27. A person necessarily lend a hand to make seriously articles I’d state.
    That is the first time I frequented your website page and up to now?
    I amazed with the analysis you made to create this particular put up amazing.
    Excellent process!

28. For most up-to-date information you have to go to see world wide web and on
    internet I found this website as a finest website for latest updates.

29. LOL….
    Jay that was HILARIOUS… I am a woman along with the listing
    applies but to e specific extent. In genuine
    lifestyle we sometimes just want some hard, kinky ‘n receiving freaky sex.

Do not get me wrong…. I definitely take pleasure in foreplay and passionate sex but I also take pleasure in it when my man just rips my garments off,
    throws me on the bed… or on the closest bit of furnishings or countertop…lol….
    and just gives it to me…. I enjoy it when my man takes control and just requires
    what he desires…. Complete Turn ON!!!! Wham,
    Bam…. thank you daddy!! It depends… but both way…
    I appreciate any edition of it!

30. Why users still make use of to read news papers when in this technological world everything is
    existing on web?

31. Useful info. Fortunate me I discovered your site unintentionally, and I’m stunned why this coincidence didn’t happened in advance!
    I bookmarked it.

32. Hi, all the time i used to check blog posts here in
    the early hours in the dawn, since i enjoy to learn more and more.

Trackbacks

1. [...] I made over my master vanity by painting the cabinets and counters using the Rustoleum Countertop and Cabinet Transformations [...]